Announcements

Seminar In Medicine, 18.09.2018, Dr. Hande Yağmur

Author: KUSOM
Time: 15:00
Location: MED 176

KOÇ UNIVERSITY

SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

 
SEMINAR IN MEDICINE
Tuesday, September 18th,
 2018

 ******************************************************************
Speaker         : Dr. Hande Yağmur, Koç University Hospital, Department of 
Obstetrics and Gynecology

Title               : From Aneuploidies to Non-communicable Diseases: The Evolution of First Trimester Screening

Time              : 15.00 (Refreshments will be served at 14:45)

Place              : MED 176

TelePresence   : AH 5th floor Chief Medical Officer / KUH 9th floor Meeting Room

******************************************************************

FROM ANEUPLOIDIES TO NON-COMMUNICABLE DISEASES: THE EVOLUTION OF FIRST TRIMESTER SCREENING

First trimester ultrasonography has evolved over the last 25 years from a basic evaluation of gestational age, viability, number of fetuses, chorionicity and nuchal translucency to a comprehensive scan that can identify many major structural abnormalities along with aneuploidies. Moreover, the first trimester of pregnancy serves as a window of opportunity for assessment of risk for “great obstetrical syndromes” associated with maternal and fetal morbidity such as preeclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction, gestational diabetes, and preterm delivery. Early prediction of these at 11-13 weeks of gestation allows timely intervention for prevention of poor pregnancy outcome as well as adverse fetal programming.

Worldwide hyperglycemia in pregnancy affects one in six pregnancies. Gestational diabetes is responsible for 84% of the cases whereas the remaining 16% are due to overt diabetes. Recent evidence suggests that prolonged intrauterine exposure to maternal hyperglycemia before 24 weeks’ gestation is associated with increased fetal growth, early offspring adiposity and long term cardiometabolic risk. Our aim is to identify those women with “early” gestational diabetes by combining risk factors and maternal/fetal markers at the 11-13 week scan.